Cami
(ó㉨ò)

Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Last sold: 12/6/2010 for 2000

Something like that? That way, if there was one recent sale that was more expensive so wasn't put in the price guide, people still see that some recent sales have been for higher. Or if it hasn't sold for a long time, they also know that.

But yes, more work. Especially since people don't always report sales.

Rylynne
your resident bonafide coffee ad...

Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM

That's how I see the idea being implemented Cami~ :'D <3<3

More than one person may have to be assigned to this though. @_@;; Because unless people start reporting sales a lot more, the staff is gonna have to monitor all trades. D: Which is... yeah, hard work indeed. >3>;;

DariaMorgendorfer
La La La La La, you're standing ...

Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM

LOL, you think we don't monitor trades? How else do you think the priceguide is at all accurate?

I'm pretty sure this idea would only work for the older years items and not the current year. No way to record ALL those trades daily.

My concern is that I will possibly get the PMs of "Why isn't my recent sale recorded immediately, what's taking so long" Which might upset the masses and that would make me sad :( (and maybe a tiny bit crabby;)). The reality is that the priceguide is all hand done and I do have a life too....Not that that's an okay excuse but it is the reality.

Last edited by DariaMorgendorfer; 12-06-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Since your upkeep of the price guide is volunteer work, Daria, I would say claiming it is too much work to do that way for it to be worth it would be a quite OK excuse for skipping it. :lol:

Now on the other hand ..... if Insomniac could make some automated way of tracking sales that way it would be great.

It would be half way to setting up a market place, though.

Rylynne

Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM

I didn't think you monitored them as religiously as I thought this idea would demand, Daria. Hehe, my bad then if I was mistaken. XP <3<3

And yeah, but you gotta keep in mind that people will complain either way. xDD;; You could try implementing a twice-a-week update schedule for this then? =O That miiigghhhtt defeat the purpose of the idea a little bit, but considering that we're talking about items that don't get sold for months on end, this could prove useful. xDD;;

Also, maybe have a set cut-off length of time for this? Like, say, six months, meaning that if the item was released six months ago, the "last sold in ___" update will apply~ :'> <3<3

Angel's idea of an automated tracking method is pretty cool, actually. My only concern is that it might involve loads of coding, meaning that it won't get implemented as fast as if we executed this "last sold on ___" option. And we're looking for an easy temporary fix for now, right? =O At least, that was my way of thinking about it. ^^;;

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 12-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah. As I was mentioning, my idea was practically a marketplace without a selling feature - only tracking.

The coding would take a while to do - plus money.

Rylynne's idea is a bit better : only do last (1/3/5) sale(s) tracking on say - items that came out before January 2010.

Rylynne

Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 PM

I guess that feature could perhaps appease those wanting a Marketplace for now, somewhat. ^^;; It would still be a cool idea though, especially since in the long run it would be less effort for the staff. I'm wondering though if that would possibly make the price guide obsolete, but I don't think so because unless said feature will give the average of sales prices, it's gonna stay~ :'D <3<3

Cami
(ó㉨ò)

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM

If you monitor trades, why do we bother reporting prices at all?

And I don't think you'd have to update every single time something sold. It's just to get a general idea. So, update as usual, mark "last updated" date, and have that be part of the update.

Rylynne

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 AM

It would actually be nice if we saw exactly when stuff was last sold though~ =O But I'm only referring to the reaallyyy old and rare items. For example, it would be nice to know that a Vday Hairpin was just sold by Seiki yesterday or two days ago, especially since the last one was sold... a couple months ago or something? XP

DariaMorgendorfer

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cami View Post
If you monitor trades, why do we bother reporting prices at all?

And I don't think you'd have to update every single time something sold. It's just to get a general idea. So, update as usual, mark "last updated" date, and have that be part of the update.
By reporting sales, you save me oodles of time stalking posts, especially when rare items are sold, involving 101+ items and pure...They really, really, help me know what the people who conducted the transaction valued the sales as. If it's not reported I have to comb through posts to guess how much this and that is valued for. So it's really not as accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Spirit Girl View Post
Since your upkeep of the price guide is volunteer work, Daria, I would say claiming it is too much work to do that way for it to be worth it would be a quite OK excuse for skipping it. :lol:

Now on the other hand ..... if Insomniac could make some automated way of tracking sales that way it would be great.

It would be half way to setting up a market place, though.
Feel free to toss the suggestion to Inso. I have a feeling he's thought of it already though and if it's not done yet, he has some kinda reason...Be it coding work or whatever. He's uber smart and knowledgeable like that. (Don't tell him I said that though, it'll go to his head).

Last edited by DariaMorgendorfer; 12-07-2010 at 05:40 AM..

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariaMorgendorfer View Post
LOL, you think we don't monitor trades? How else do you think the priceguide is at all accurate?

I'm pretty sure this idea would only work for the older years items and not the current year. No way to record ALL those trades daily.

My concern is that I will possibly get the PMs of "Why isn't my recent sale recorded immediately, what's taking so long" Which might upset the masses and that would make me sad :( (and maybe a tiny bit crabby;)). The reality is that the priceguide is all hand done and I do have a life too....Not that that's an okay excuse but it is the reality.
Do like I use to do.
"Did you report it?"
"No."
"Then why are you complaining?"

Wish I could find that PM, but I cleared out my staff related PMs after I dropped the purplez.

Cami
The reason the moderators go through the trades now is because, when I was updating the guide it was taking me days to update the guide. I finally bugged Jelly enough for trade viewing so I could update it that way. People simply were not reporting any sales at all. So, trade viewing became part of the process people people refuse to report trades.
You also have the 'average' sale trades that do not get reported. Where as the higher value of an item sales get reported. Which push up the prices since there is no way to determine an average off the sale.
Say for example there are 8 raven headwing sells in a 10 day period. 6 of them go for 7000-8000 and two of them go for 9000-10,000 because two people got impatient and wanted them right then. The two for 9k-10k get reported and the other six do not. Leading to believe the value has gone up when realistically it may have gone up maybe 200-500g. Viewing trades allows to see what is not reported.

ASG
How do you automate values for an item for item sale? =S

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Oh! You are right. Items in a trade for another item would each have to be referenced to an approximate item gold value for that item found in a separate listing on that particular item. @.@ #.#

Cami
(ó㉨ò)

Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM

So... What's the deal with the, "How price relates to recent sales of same item" field when recording sales? That thing makes no sense to me. The vast majority of users don't pay significant attention to other people's sales, and it's certainly not relevant when there haven't been any recent sales. Most users are just going to put how their sale compares to the exchange guide's current price, and that seems useless and misleading to me.

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
So... What's the deal with the, "How price relates to recent sales of same item" field when recording sales? That thing makes no sense to me. The vast majority of users don't pay significant attention to other people's sales, and it's certainly not relevant when there haven't been any recent sales. Most users are just going to put how their sale compares to the exchange guide's current price, and that seems useless and misleading to me.
Honestly... no idea.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM

That's why when I report sales I don't use that section. ::shrug:: I have no idea what they're currently going for and am frankly too lazy to go to the guide and try to figure out if it's low-current-high. >_>;

DariaMorgendorfer

Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I always took it to mean the price when compared to the priceguide. So you'd use low for if it's the low end of the guide, current value (self explanatory) and high if its at the high end or above price guide value. Honestly, to me the big thing is for those trades with 101+ items to know what the buyer and seller valued the items traded as. I really do use those when working on the priceguide.

On my next update, I'll do my best to add in some "recent sale prices" for the older items if there is information to add. Some items haven't sold ever (like some of the SNGs) so I have already added in that information for you guys to have:)

Cami
(ó㉨ò)

Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I always took it to mean the price when compared to the priceguide. So you'd use low for if it's the low end of the guide, current value (self explanatory) and high if its at the high end or above price guide value. Honestly, to me the big thing is for those trades with 101+ items to know what the buyer and seller valued the items traded as. I really do use those when working on the priceguide.
Maybe you should put something like (optional) after it, since it seems to have a pretty limited purpose. I'm with CK. I never include it when reporting prices.

Quote:
On my next update, I'll do my best to add in some "recent sale prices" for the older items if there is information to add. Some items haven't sold ever (like some of the SNGs) so I have already added in that information for you guys to have:)
Cool, thanks. <3

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Hey, I've got a couple of questions if anyone can answer them.. I couldn't find the 2008 Yumeh Anniversary Hoodie in the price guide, is it just not there or is it hidden somehow? I could only see the cake hats for the '08 Anniversary..
The other question is.. for my shop (which I'm working on updating after a long hiatus from it), I used pictures from shops and such next to my items but they've disappeared. Is that because they've changed once since I did it originally, or do the URLs for the pictures continuously change as new items are added to the shops? Just wondering if I should host them elsewhere or if it was just a one-off change thing and it's cool to update it with the current addresses.

Hatake Ayumi
College Student

Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM

the hoodie is a common? I believe? I think I remember it in Hot Gossip?

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Oh yeah you're right! Haha, I just had it in the wrong folder in my inventory then, thanks. ^^;

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 AM

ljosberinn: The thumbnail change was a one-time thing.

Freshie
Super Duper Kitty Meow!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Hi, I'm wondering whats the best way to find an item I'm looking to buy in the marketplace. I've used the search, both on the side and the find shortcut. And I think I used the options before to show only selling threads..but dunno what else.
I'm looking for the Lucky Cat [in mah sig] CI. I haven't bought in the marketplace yet, nor have a shop thread up yet. I'm new. x3

.Simplicity.
(ᵔᴥᵔ)
Send a message via MSN to .Simplicity.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 AM

The best bet I'd say is to just look inside the exchange threads themselves, the titles don't always say everything, like mine. xD

Just browsing is normally the best way, I've never used the search myself. P:

And if you're looking for the imperial cat, I have one if you'd like, I never use it really~
Just PM me about it~ (:

Freshie
Super Duper Kitty Meow!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Yeah, been looking in some of the threads, but dunno all the thumbnails for items so dunno what item is what yet. x3

I might PM ya. ^^

.Simplicity.
(ᵔᴥᵔ)
Send a message via MSN to .Simplicity.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 AM

I just wanted to say I love how the price guide is being done right now, at least for the 07' items. So nice seeing it like that (:

Are the rest going to be done like that as well? Or just the rares? :3